What outcomes can I expect from counselling?
How can counselling, therapy, and psychology services help?
Counselling outcomes vary from person to person, depending on a range of factors such as client's motivation, openness to change, how hard the client is willing to work, the counsellor's knowledge, skills, and experience, how well the counsellor's and client's philosophies and theories about the issue are aligned, goodness of fit between counsellor and client, as well as current circumstances in the client's life which may either assist or hinder changes the client is trying to make.
Having said this, counselling and psychological therapy can be immensely beneficial. Counselling and psychological therapy can help by allowing you to gain:
- Greater insight & understanding
- New ways of looking at a problem or issue
- Psycho-education and greater knowledge of human behaviour & human nature
- Targeted strategies to assist in the effective management of a problem or issue
- Hope and confidence that a symptom, problem or issue can be managed differently
Many people report immense benefits and personal rewards from having attended counselling and engaged in therapy, having developed a better understanding of the psychology underlying an issue. These benefits often include:
- A reduction in stress and distressing symptoms
- Increased hope and a more positive outlook on life
- Increased sense of control
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Increased sense of relief at having released a burden
- Greater focus and direction
- Increased sense of happiness and fulfilment
- Increased sense of life satisfaction
- Greater enjoyment of life
- Greater enjoyment and connection in close personal relationships
- A sense of pride and accomplishment at having mastered a personal challenge
- A sense of peace and relief at having let go of a past trauma or pain
- Increased health benefits