What should I expect from my first counselling and psychological therapy session?
- Introduce themselves, how they work, their training and experience
- Provide information about the counselling and therapy process
- Answer any questions you may have
- Put you at ease
- Treat you with respect
- Invite you to discuss what issues you would like to work on in counselling
- Ask you some questions to better assess these issues
- Provide you with a summary of their professional opinion so far
- Provide you with information about treatment options
- Work with you to formulate specific goals for your work together
- Offer you a regular appointment time to work on these goals and issues
- Ask for your feedback on how the session went
- Ask for your commitment to the counselling and therapy process
During your first session, the counsellor / psychologist will also provide you with information about crisis management, confidentiality, cancellation policy and any other "house-keeping" issues. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. You are also welcome to take notes during your session. At The Red Couch Counselling & Psychology Clinic, you have the option to have your session recorded and will receive an audio-recording of your session since we believe that this will assist you to get the most out of your therapy session. A lot will be covered during your counselling sessions and it will be hard to remember it all. The recording allows you to review the session as often as you like in your own time which has been found to enhance therapy outcomes. You may be surprised to find how much more you will get out of the second time of listening to your counselling session.
To read The Australian Psychological Society charter for clients click here.